(active in 1784)
The arrival of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette at the Château de St Cloud
1784
Signed on the right: SM 1784
Watercolor and gouache, round: 6.5 cm.
Frame: 12.5 X 12.5 cm.
A historical testimony painted by a rare miniaturist: Saint Marc 1784.
Today, the castle loved by Marie-Antoinette no longer exists.
On October 24, 1784, the Château de Saint-Cloud was acquired by Louis XVI for Queen Marie-Antoinette. Louis XVI had envisioned and established the royal family and the Court.
Before his death, the Duke of Orléans, Louis-Philippe "the Fat", who had not visited Saint-Cloud since his morganatic marriage to Madame de Montesson, was forced to cede the estate to the king for 6 million livres. In the following years, Marie-Antoinette had the château renovated.
During the Franco-Prussian War, on September 21, 1870, the castle was invested here by Prussian troops, on October 1, where the director of the estate and his staff were appointed.
At the army headquarters, the castle was burned down on October 13, 1870, which tells the story of the French canons stationed at Fort Mont-Valérien next to the siege of Paris.
PROVENANCE:
François Robichon de La Guérinière (1688 – 1751)
Private collection, Paris
BIBLIOGRAPHY
Bouchard, Journal of Guienne, September 1784.
Privacy Policy | Credits
© 2022 All Rights Reserved Miniature Portraits